Thursday, June 21, 2007

Welcome

This is my first post to a blog of any kind. First, a word about the name of my blog. Haiwee is my moniker in the many forums and chat groups I frequent. The first forum I joined, many years ago, was a backpacking group. Little-known Haiwee Pass has always been my favorite east-side entry into the High Sierra backcountry. In the dozens of backpacking trips over Haiwee Pass to the South Fork Kern River I've yet to meet another hiker. Above all, I value solitude during my sojurns into the wilderness, frequently hiking alone into little-used areas.

I am an avid bird hunter and angler, yet I am also a self-avowed flaming liberal. I don't think these traits are in any way mutually exclusive. Look for me to, in future posts, explain this. Also look for riffs on why we need campaign finance reform (including public financing), national single-payer health insurance, an Apollo-like program for energy independence, a significant tax increase on the wealthiest Americans and on corporations alike, a more progressive environmental policy and a return to a foreign policy that does not include pre-emptive war. Finally, look for many posts regarding my love of outdoor recreation, including one in the near future entitled "Why We Hunt."

Coments and suggestions are not only welcome, but encouraged. Thanks for reading.

No comments: