Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An Inspiring Politician

I was seven years old when Bobby Kennedy ran for president, back in 1968. I can remember, to this day, my Mom listening to Kennedy speak, and weeping. When I asked her why she was crying, why she was sad, she said "I'm not sad, I'm happy. This man is going to be a great president. He inspires me. He inspires us all. He makes me believe we not only can, but will be a greater America."

Until today, I've never truly understood her feelings that day. I wasn't old enough to have comprehended the hope and promise inherent in Bobby Kennedy's speeches. I wasn't old enough to have heard Martin Luther King tell us "I have a dream," nor did I get to hear John F. Kennedy tell us "Ask not what your country do for you, ask what you can do for your country," other than as quaint sound bytes that only reminded me of an America that at one time was not only inspiring, but boasted of inspiring leaders.

Today, in this time, we again have a leader who inspires, whose words today actually had me weeping in my car as I was on my way to work. Barack Obama is that man, and this, I believe, is his time.

And it wasn't just his message today, however powerful it was. It was his manner. This man, so capable of delivering powerful, soaring oratory, was somber and humble this morning, befitting his subject manner.

Barack Obama is the man of the moment, who again fills us with the promise of a greater America, an America that, in his words, is a "more perfect union." He is an inspiration to me. And those are words I would never have thought I could write.

No comments: