Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Jesus Was a Democrat

What is it about the so-called "religious conservatives" that allows them to pick and choose which teachings of the Bible are the important ones? I mean, abortion is sin because it's murder but war is virtuous because . . . well, I can't quite figure it out.

Indeed, it seems religious conservatives tend to focus on two issues in particular -- abortion and gay rights -- to the exclusion of a whole host of other issues I think would have interested Jesus, were he alive today. Jesus most certainly wouldn't have approved of George Bush's unjust and unnecessary war. Jesus was big on providing for the poor, a political dead end with the Republican party. I think Jesus would be appalled that a whole segment of society has no access to health care benefits. He probably wouldn't think much of giving tax breaks to corporations that pollute his Father's creation, nor of giving tax breaks to the richest in society while the working class gets snubbed. And don't get me started on the Republican response to Katrina; let's just say Jesus would have been mortified.

I guess what I'm saying is that, during the next election cycle, Democrats would do well by again claiming, forcefully, the moral high-ground that is rightly theirs. The Democrats are the party of the common folk, the poor, the disenfranchised, the people Jesus championed in His time.

Moreover, I think people of religion who support the Republican Party should be ashamed that their politicians pay lip service to morality but tend not to follow through. And for all you folks out there with their WWJD T-shirts and bumper-stickers, why I'll tell you: He'd vote Democrat.

No comments: